Whether students’ practica are in adapted physical activity, adapted physical education, therapeutic recreation, general special education, or any program that includes people with disabilities, this workbook will help them prepare for their experience and evaluate it through journal writing, self-assessment, and critical reflective thinking. The book will help ground them in an abilities-based approach to adapted physical activity. And, ultimately, it will enhance their success in their budding careers.
Practicum in Adapted Physical Activity provides students with these opportunities:
- Experience and respond to a variety of settings and challenges when working with people with disabilities
- Process and assimilate their practicum experience and hone their critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Evaluate their performances as teachers and leaders and their approaches to working with people with disabilities
- Prepare for job hunting through portfolio-building experiences while sharpening their teaching and leading skills
- Create a reflective journal of their personal learning experiences during the practicum
This hands-on workbook, through the use of its real-life scenarios, self-evaluation checklists, handy tips, and reflective journaling exercises, leads students toward a greater understanding of the structure and purposes of a variety of experiences in practica. It helps them plan strategies for improved field performance, enhances the relationship with their mentor-teachers and leaders, and provides a variety of ways to reflect on the practicum experience and record insights for future reference. It also offers professional portfolio-building tools, assisting students in job hunting. In doing all this, it prepares students to be effective field professionals.
Authors: Claudia Emes, Beth P. Velde
168 Pages. Paperback.