Through Hiking and Backpacking, you can
- discover the essentials to prepare for your adventure,
- learn the basic skills and techniques from master teachers,
- find tips and insights regarding equipment and gear,
- test your knowledge with questions at the end of each chapter, and
- learn to use the Web to find great trails and adventures.
Hiking and backpacking are great leisure-time activities. But before heading out, you need to know how to ensure a safe, environmentally sound, and enjoyable hiking and backpacking experience. Hiking and Backpacking covers all that, and much more! Through this book you will learn how to
- prepare yourself physically for the rigors of hiking and camping;
- select and prepare the right equipment, gear, clothing, and footwear;
- manage risks and work to maintain safety while on the trail; and
- use good trail etiquette and proper hiking, backpacking, and camping techniques.
Master teachers take you step by step through the preparation, skills, and techniques you need to know for a successful adventure. They provide you with practical tips in all these areas, and they also supply you with Web addresses to help you plan your hiking and backpacking adventures throughout the world. This practical book presents all the essential information you need for hiking, overnight camping, and backpacking.