The linebacker position is more challenging than ever, whether a player is taking on a 320-pound lineman or covering a speedy receiver. In Complete Linebacking, Lou Tepper tells and shows how to excel at one of the game’s most demanding positions. Tepper has coached three Butkus Award winners-Alfred Williams, Dana Howard, and Kevin Hardy-plus one Butkus runner-up and 20 linebackers who have gone on to play in the NFL. In his 30 years of college coaching, Tepper’s defenses have consistently been top-ranked nationally.
Complete Linebacking provides full coverage for coaching and playing the position, including:
- the qualities needed to play linebacker;
- fundamental skills for all linebackers, regardless of the team’s scheme;
- keys to look for in an offense for clues about the upcoming play before the ball is snapped;
- tips for teaching the linebacker position in team meetings and practices; and
- a grading system to evaluate performance.
The book also includes four key linebacker ability tests and 33 drills to measure and improve position-specific skills. More than 200 diagrams and photographs illustrate Tepper’s detailed explanations.