Gaining an understanding of the recreation and parks profession is crucial to success in the field and to effective leadership within the field.
Recreation and Parks: The Profession is a one-of-a-kind resource that delineates the components that make this complex field a profession. Written by well-known recreation authority Betty van der Smissen, this book
- defines the marks of the recreation and parks profession and identifies the steps involved in becoming a professional in the field;
- profiles 62 professional organizations within the profession;
- provides a Web site that features a time line of the development of areas and organizations of the profession and the most up-to-date Web addresses for organizations detailed in the text;
- outlines a comparative history of 15 categories of the recreation and parks field in the United States and Canada; and
- presents a classic-to-contemporary bibliography of resources that showcases an inclusive body of knowledge on the profession.