Students benefit much more when you, the teacher, fully understand what you are teaching. That’s why author and veteran teacher Sheila Kogan is so passionate about Step by Step: A Complete Movement Education Curriculum, Second Edition. In this indispensable guide, Kogan draws on her 30-plus years of experience to help elementary classroom teachers of all backgrounds and experience levels understand basic movement concepts so that they can create their own successful movement programs. The material is presented sequentially, step by step, to help you integrate important concepts and build toward goals. With encouragement, warmth, and wit, Kogan explains the underlying principles at each step using practical terms, not theoretical jargon.
The first section of the book lays the groundwork, giving you a solid foundation in class management structures and basic movement concepts. It presents three behavior management techniques that you can use to control the energy released by a good movement program so that you can feel comfortable and keep children safe. Next, it presents the fundamental components that underlie all movement activities. You’ll learn about locomotor and nonlocomotor movements, level changes, directions, and floor patterns.
In each lesson plan, you’ll find the following:
- Teacher-to-teacher tips that give realistic insights into handling potential situations
- Student objectives that clarify what your students will accomplish
- A list of materials you will need
- Teaching instructions that clearly explain the exact progression of the lesson
- Adaptations that you can use to make the lesson easier or more difficult or to promote English language development via visual, auditory, and kinesthetic modes
- Assessment suggestions that you can use with individual children or the class as a whole
No matter what your background or experience level is, you’ll find the curriculum useful and extremely adaptable. Discover the joy and power that come from moving as you begin Step by Step: A Complete Movement Education Curriculum, Second Edition.