Improve your racing performance through multispeed training! Whether your distance is 5K, marathon, or anything in-between, Road Racing for Serious Runners tells you how to train smarter and run faster. This training plan is based on solid science, and its physiological basis is clearly explained and incorporated into a running program that produces maximum results and reduces the risk of injury. In Road Racing for Serious Runners, Pete Pfitzinger-a world-class marathoner, distance running coach, and exercise physiologist-tells you how to get the most out of your limited training time. Pfitzinger teams up with former Running Times editor-in-chief Scott Douglas to present a training and racing plan that will help you excel in the full spectrum of road racing distances. You will learn how to
- design a week-by-week training program,
- determine the right pace to run during speed workouts,
- get the most out of long runs,
- taper training before an important race,
- detect and avoid staleness and injury,
- determine the best strategy for each race, and
- achieve the optimal mental state to train and race.
Included with each of five training schedules are racing tactics, mental tips, and lessons from world-class runners. Whatever distance you plan to race, Road Racing for Serious Runners will guide you to peak performance!