Guiding Yoga's Light: Lessons for Yoga Teachers moves beyond the anatomical aspects of asanas to help instructors present the deeper concepts of yogic philosophy to their students and offer insight into the integration of yogic teachings into everyday life. For ease of planning and organization, each lesson follows a six-part outline:
- The intention provides the focus for the day’s yoga class.
- Approximate time offers the length of each lesson script to help yoga teachers manage class time.
- The lesson embodies the essence of the day’s teaching, which is expanded on in the following three sections.
- Asanas for deepening illustrate and incoporate the lesson through body stretch, movement, and sensation.
- Practice off the mat helps students integrate the lesson into their daily lives by providing an assignment, a reminder, or a discussion topic.
- To end each lesson, wise words offer selected quotes, suggestions, or proverbs to remind students of the lesson as they engage in their practice outside the class.
Beginning with basics of breathing, Guiding Yoga’s Light progresses to the physical and spiritual philosophy of the asanas and salutations and ends with lessons to bring clarity, calmness, and relaxation into daily life.