Teaching correct techniques in track and field can be a challenge, especially for less experienced coaches and physical educators. The broad range of knowledge required to teach and coach so many varied events makes track and field one of the most technically complex sport areas to master. Fundamentals of Track and Field simplifies the learning and teaching process with clear, progressive instruction.
Written by former Olympic athlete and veteran coach Gerry Carr, this book presents valuable information for teaching and coaching every track and field event, including such frequently excluded events as the 400-meter hurdles, steeplechase, triple jump, hammer throw, and race walking. For each event, the book provides:
- step-by-step instructions progressing from basic skills to intermediate techniques;
- practice drills to learn and master each essential skill;
- troubleshooting tables that list common technique errors and corrections;
- coaching tips to improve instruction and organization; and
- safety suggestions, performance standards, and assessment tools.
Fundamentals of Track and Field is the best book on the basics in each event. It is the starting point for all those who dream of one day winning a gold medal.