with Todd Dagenais, University of Central Florida Head Coach; former USC Assistant Coach.
In this comprehensive defensive presentation, Mick Haley's assistant, Todd Dagenais, shares virtually all aspects of teaching, coaching, and drilling team and individual defensive skills. Coach Dagenais begins the presentation by sharing USC Volleyball's "Six Principles of Defense and Training" and then moves onto the court for defensive skill development to present instruction and breakdowns (group and team) for nine specific skill areas; they are:
- Proper Body Position - Establishing the body position that affords maximum core management.
- Principles of Contact - How to get to the target and 3 rules for contact.
- Principles of Recovery - Demos of what needs to happen after ball contact.
- Principles of Movement - Proper feet movement, eye position, core placement.
- Movement Skills - Specific instruction for shuffling, running, and getting to drop rotation.
- Progression Drills -7 different lead up drills - individual and group.
- Mid-Position Skills - 12 different skills for passing and digging
- Low Position Skills - Rolling and recovery including "extremely low dig" move.
- Emergency Skills - 8 unique skills for defensive emergencies.
Dagenais shares invaluable tips as each move is made and each drill executed that gives a great model of teaching, coaching and motivating players to not only learn the skill but to be accountable for their defensive skill responsibilities.
52 minutes. 2006.